What's a Laryngologist?

Physicians who specialize in voice are known around the world by various names: laryngologist, phonosurgeon, voice doctor, phoniatrist and there are probably others. Essentially these words mean that the person has a special interest in the voice beyond what a general doctor has; beyond even what a typical ear, nose and throat physician has. They are focused to some degree on the voice. There is not a formal degree for a laryngologist and anyone may use the name. Quite likely, over time the training for this subspecialty will become more formalized.

If you want to learn more about what my colleagues and I do as laryngologists, pick up my book, “Why is There a Frog in my Throat? A Guide to Hoarseness”, which makes diagnosing voice disorders approachable for everyone.