Slurred speech caused by PSP

Printer-friendly version


My partner a 70 year old man was diagnosed with PSP (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy) and has slurred speech,difficulty in speaking and swallowing due to the weakening of the throat muscles
Is there any surgery (in South Africa )that can help him
Is there any other method of helping him to gain back his speech?
As he resides in South Africa please supply details of whom to contact
James P Thomas MD's picture
Submitted by James P Thomas MD on Sat, 2012-04-07 14:11


I list all the physicians that I know who specialize in vocal cord disorders on this website  However, speech is different than the voice. Speech relates to the organs in the mouth and throat, while voice relates to the vocal cords and larynx.


Neurologic problems involving the throat, palate and tongue are likely actually problems within the brain. Consequently there are times when a neurologist might better deal with speech issues.